The Carlton Lofts
Located in the historic Brush Park District in Detroit, The Carleton Plaza Hotel
has been preserved and renovated into The Carlton Lofts.
Containing 50 condominiums the condominiums range from
one bedroom, one level, 700 square feet studios
to units that are 1,800 square feet with two bedroom and two levels.
Several businesses are located within a mile of The Carlton Lofts including:
Detroit Medical Center (DMC), Wayne State University, Compuware (Quicken Loans),
DTE Energy, Detroit Free Press. And some businesses just shy of that one mile including
General Motors and Henry Ford Hospital.
Plenty of cultural spots are also within an 8 minute walk: Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA),
Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO), Fillmore and the Heidelberg Project.
Lots of places to eat and enjoy games, Comerica Park Home of Our Detroit Tigers,
Ford Field and Our Detroit Lions, Joe Louis Arena and The Detroit Redwings, Atlas Global Bistro,
The Fox Theater, Hockeytown Café, and all of Greektown. Visit our Neighbors Page.
History of the Carleton Plaza Hotel
The Carleton Plaza Hotel was built in 1923 and designed by the American architect Louis Kamper.
Kamper's building designs adorned Detroit's skyline form 1888 to 1931.
His 14th commission, the Carleton Plaza Hotel in 1923, was the first documented hotel project by his firm.
The Carleton holds significance and importance in Detroit architectural history in that Kamper used the project
to evolve his style for hotel design. The layout of the hotel itself was done in a U-shape, which allowed every guestroom
to have an outside view - not yet a common feature in hotel design at the time. In addition to its shape,
the hotel provided guest rooms with individual baths, again another uncommon feature.